This was the first conference in the UK aimed specifically at the independent vape industry and focused exclusively on issues of direct relevance to the independent industry.
2017 was a critical year for the Independent vape industry with the Tobacco and Related Products Regulations coming into full effect in May. In addition to this, new guidance was published on advertising, decisions were taken in Brussels regarding taxation of vape products, and the formal process of the UK leaving the European Union began.
- Lord Callanan, Former Conservative MEP who was one of the shadow rapporteurs on the TPD
- Steve Green, Anthony Jones Insurance Brokers
- Sarah Jakes, Trustee New Nicotine Alliance
- Robert Morrison, Senior Regulatory Policy Executive at the Committee on Advertising Practice
- Kate Pike, Trading Standards
- Professor Riccardo Polosa
- Malcolm Keen, Associate BLM Solicitors
- Stuart Mathieson, WTC Logistics
- Dave Turner, Vapouround Magazine
- Cllr John Leech, Manchester City Council
- Neil McCallum, CEO Jac Vapour
- Liam Humberstone, Technical Director, Totally Wicked
Topics being discussed included:
- The development of European and International Standards for vape products
- The current and future regulatory regime for the vape industry in the UK and Europe
- How best to advertise and promote your business under the current restrictions
- How best to use supportive data about vaping in your day-to-day business activities
- Taxation of vape products
- The challenges and opportunities of running a business in this sector
- How best to grow your business and the things you need to consider when running a business on a day-to-day basis
- The importance of having the right insurance
In addition to this, The IBVTA science and regulatory committee presented a new and previously unseen analysis of emissions data which clearly demonstrated the negligible harm associated with vaping.
Throughout the day there were plenty of opportunities, over coffee, lunch, and the drinks reception, to network with fellow business owners and others.
At the end of the day attendees left the conference ready to face the challenges and better placed to take advantage of the opportunities that lie ahead for their business.